Tuesday, June 2, 2009






After the horror of losing our FR bikes in Kelowna we headed back to Tonasket and spent a couple of days climbing w/ Pablo, and company.  I nearly had a mid 10 onsight but blew a clip and had to briefly grab a quickdraw.  I think that I need to get back into climbing because it definitely pushes you in ways that not many other endeavors do.  We packed up our stuff and headed back to Bellingham.  Nate and a very pregnant Tanya let us crash at their place the first night.  The next day we went to Glacier and had at the steep gnarly trails.  6 mile was soupy and scary and I was thankful when 3 mile was dry and you could actually ride the lines without flapping one of your legs around for balance/kicking off stuff to stay up.  Nate took a couple diggers and I waited for a short period of time before pinning it to the bottom.  Lily was surprised when I showed up so quickly.  We went back up and did a new trail called Sasquatch.  It started out similar to other trails at Glacier.....namely steep and gnarly w/ tons of exposure.  They did an amazing job of chopping out enough roots to make it doable but not much more than that.  I got bounced around a bit but seemed to find the flow.  Next zone was the stunted zone that Ben showed us last year- roll to double to hip stepdown to roller coaster (which HAD gaps last year, but got changed), to the crazy step up onto the platform.  I took a look at that move and nailed it pretty clean first go.  It was kind of funky because you have to scrub all of your speed and basically crawl off a 8+' drop.  I nailed it and was surprised by how much speed I picked up immediately.  The next move was riding across a 60' log that was shaved on top.  I freaked out when my brakes kicked me sideways.  I jumped off the bike and tumbled through the forest, but not to bad all things considered.  I got back on the bike and rode (not out of control this time) across the log and hit the stepdown blindly.  I could tell you had to go L off it, but I still drifted too far R and landed on (thankfully) a cut out stump.  It then went into 3 bigger doubles (20ish ft).  Next came an uphill skinny logride that fanned out and ended with a 8' slow-tech wheelie drop.  I scoped it and sent it.  SUPER COOL move!!  Next was a X shaped move that had two different sized drops that crossed each other before take-off.  I sent the big one onsight.  Next move claimed Nate Jorgenesen.  Short steepish wood roll into a long, high logride (6' +).  I nailed it onsight and waited for Nate to catch up.  He came into it, stopped above the roll in, then decided to give it a go, rolled in too fast, grabbed a ton of back brake, and promptly slid his back tire off the log.  Before he could say "oh crap" he flew towards the ground and landed HARD onto two logs on the ground with little nubbins- right to the RIBS.  He was writhing for a good 30 seconds before coming to his feet.  Besides the obvious guttoral sounds he was able to muster a FUCK!!  Then more moans.  After a few minutes he says "lets go."  He walks and somehow rides down the rest of the trail.  We rush him to the ER.  He ends us w/ good bruised ribs, but got the full work-up (CT scan, etc).  An expensive 12 Percocets is his take on the whole ordeal.  

The next day, Lily borrowed Nate's bike and we rode the Fork.  Things worked out perfectly.  Right as we were loading up the 2 bikes we met John one of the builders (10%, and now.....Happy Ending).  I didn't know this and started expounding how I'm itching to hit the new trails.  Then he breaks me the news.  We're going to rip it THIS LAP!!  Yeeeeeehaw!!  We rage Deadfall and Widowmaker.  Neck in neck.  Sweet.  Then we peel off and make it over to his trail.  Immediate step up onto a logride that's planked.  Then into a BUNCH of big jumps that I follow him off of.  What a blur of radness!!  It culminated in a 30+' roadgap called the fortune cookie.  So rad!!  John bailed and I ran into Spencer, Colin, PB, Pat, Thad, and EB.  We ripped another Deadfall and did a bunch of work armoring some of the soup pits that form.  We moved some HUGE rocks (2 men grunting to ROLL them).  Then we went and worked on a still yet to be completed trail called Shake and Bake.  We rode the top part- flowy loam and natural terrain.  Then we worked on a ladder section that circumnavigated an impassable zone.  We lugged some slats and stringers up the mountain (hard work and lots of sweat!!).  Lily even threw down?!!  After getting a couple hours in we blazed down the rest of the trail and Lily shuttled me up to do Dirt Renyolds- Todd's pride and joy.  I even ran into him coming down off of it.  He has put even MORE work into the already SICK trail.  A few more jumps were added, and they hit really well.  One came out of a berm and looked very challenging but proved to hit really smoothly.  I hit it a couple times since it was soooo cool.  Then I sessioned the drop to stepdown and nailed the hip afterwards at FULL speed (first time I cleared it smoothly- although it was re-shaped since the last time I tried it).  WHAT  A DAY!!!  We all went to Casa and had less than amazing burritos.  Lily and I crashed at Mike's house (who doesn't live there anymore due to his new woman friend Rose).  We knocked lightly since there were lights on and Meredith came to the door.  She was stoked to see us and we chatted for a bit before pulling the twin mattress out of the van and putting it on mikes wooden platform (he took his mattress).  The next day we re-arranged the truck and van to accommodate me bailing like a crazy kid to go ride my bike in Canada.  It took a solid 90 minutes.  I jumped in the van and headed to Vancouver (Leslie and John's house).  I've never went through the Peace Arch, and made it through w/o any problems.  Then I got lost and ended up 2 cities away in Burnaby.  DOH!!  I called Leslie and got directions.  Finally I showed up and of course Sterling is still working on his bike.  I flip him some grief and then we went and rode Cypress Mtn.  We hit up Sexgirl to SOB, to Tall Can.  Then we got a ride back up and hit up Wild Cherry.  I was stoked to see the opening moves again b/c last time I looked at it I thought it was one of the craziest things ever!!  I hit two different lines and was super stoked.  John also hit the riders L line (I dropped off a 5+' rock and he gracefully placed his tire in the right spot and rolled it).  What a hoot!!  We go back to the resort-de-Leslie and I whip up my famous organic turkey burgers w/ pesto.  Life is good!!

1 comment:

  1. Good to hear you are climbing, even if it is aid climbing...hehe

    ReplyDelete