Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Powder of Glory!!

Yup....it was one of "those" days!!  Got up to Sugarbowl by 9 am only to find out they are WAY behind on avy work and aren't going to open the Mt Disney lift until 11 am.  DOH!!  We waited in a very odiferous line for almost 2 hrs.  It was funny....they moved us back ~50' to finish setting up the lift line.  Slowly the "line" ballooned and we were boxing people out to keep our spot in line.  Then they let us line up.....but only the way it could go on a pow day.....a frantic frenzy of poles thrashing and people barreling each other over just to line up....for another 20 min at least!!  Then they opened the chair........a total piranha feeding on goldfish scenario unfolded.  The new snow stood no chance!!  I booked it over to "Bacon Bits" and aired off it like never before.  Pointed it off a 10-15' drop, stuck it, and proceeded to get a ton of speed and plow through a bunch of avalanche debris that ski patrol had ripped.  We rode Mt Disney with the usual characters.....Charlie, Kevin, Warren, Daron, Lily, Nate Dawg, Noah, and Jonah (rode AT and board).  We rode Strawberry Fields a ton (landed my first 360 off the cat wind-lip).  Got over into West Palisades and rode the steepest spine of the day into a little boulder drop.  Rallied with Jeff Geigel and the patroller Sicily for a couple runs down the newly opened E. face of Disney.  Then by a stroke of luck, they opened up Mt Lincoln at 3:10 PM.  HOLY smokes!!  What a treat.  They hadn't opened Lincoln the past two days (20+ inches) so it was SICK!!  The first run down they didn't open any of the ropes into the cliffs, but then they did the second lap.  I made my way over to Big Joe's and sized up the solid 20+' drop.  Only a couple of people had done it.  I sat there for a split second deliberating whether I should make the plunge.  Just then a bunch of people rolled over the crest right at me.  Now or never!!  I flew off and STUCK IT!!  Felt effortless!!  Next lap I told myself I wouldn't do it because I knew all the fresh landing were taken, but I couldn't help it.  I came off a little slower and clipped an exposed rock at the bottom which flipped me onto my face.  Good thing it's soft!!  I went over to the West Cliffs the next two runs and surfed a spine to a nice drop.  Exhausted we made our way to the Judah Lodge where we ran into Daron and got heckled into doing one more run on a lower smaller lift....just because we could.  Barely.  My legs are soooooo smoked from the past two days of just utter open to close powder thrashing.  Only a short drive to the house on the highway.  Roll down to the bottom of the on ramp and realize we're not going anywhere fast.  Truckers were parked all over the highway with barely a path between them.  We thought there was an accident for 10+ minutes before a car passed us and wove through the trucks.  We followed, got open highway for 5 minutes, then ran into a REAL traffic jam.  A car accident AND a trucked who slid down the highway while trying to put his chains on, jack-knifing the just about to be opened highway.  DOH!!  We waited for 2 HOURS!!  We missed the gong show yesterday and got front row seats today.  That's the way it goes I guess!!  Back to the house by 8:30 PM.  WHEW!!  We're doing this again tomorrow!?!!?  I better go to sleep!!  Ciao!!

No comments:

Post a Comment